How to stay positive this winter in Lockdown 2.0
By PW Nutritionist Steph Evans
With England in another 4-week lockdown, a lot of us may be finding this winter harder than most. The dark nights, colder weather and Christmas looming can bring even the happiest of us feeling the lockdown fatigue this November. It is easy to get caught up in the negativity and terrible events in the news, especially when we are bombarded with reports and notifications on our phones of yet more coronavirus updates, natural disasters and unfortunate events. That is why at Protein World we want to check in and offer some help and support! We will be sharing more self care tips and inspirational quotes over our socials to spread positivity in the next four weeks and help you avoid lockdown fatigue - think fun challenges, your favourite comfort food and some positive news to brighten your spirits! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to join in the lockdown fun!
“I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions”. -- Stephen Covey
- Start journaling: Our top tip for those of you who are struggling this month (and even if you aren’t) is to start a journal! Journaling is a classic self care method which can help you reflect on your feelings. It can help put you in a good mood by starting the morning by writing down 10 things to be grateful for - pr you could also try listing some positive affirmations to tell yourself each day to protect your mental health! Our Slender Plan guide has a positivity section ready to guide you through! Our 5 favourites we love to live by are at the top of this article!
- Isolation baking round 2: I bet earlier this year you made at least one banana bread and tried at least one TikTok food trend, right? This time round it’s time to up your game and join in our Instagram fun! We want you to make some breakfast showstoppers and take some beautiful shots to share with us over socials for your chance of a feature. We have recently launched our Breakfast Collection featuring the best-selling Slender Porridge, Granola and the Slender Day Tea which includes a handy 15-in-5 breakfast recipe E-book to help get you breakfast inspired!
- Create your own Lockdown Quiz Ideas: Have fun with the family (or over zoom with your friends) by making your very own lockdown quiz! Personalise questions and add in some fun trivia to keep people guessing and spirits high this November! For example, did you know that the first breakfast cereal was created in 1863 and needed soaking overnight to be chewable?!
“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” -- Sydney Harris
- Put your health first! With gyms now closed once more, and the lack of sun shining in the sky it’s going to be much more difficult to stay active this winter. Undoubtedly, we will be cosying up to the fire with a cup of hot chocolate and an old film in the afternoons instead of getting in your daily workout! We urge you not to wimp out on your daily dose of fresh air, otherwise lockdown fatigue can hit you like a tonne of bricks! If you wrap up warm and search out your walking boots, then crisp winter walks with your loved ones can be so much fun on the non-rainy days! However, now summer is far behind us, the lack of sunlight will leave many of us at risk of becoming deficient in Vitamin D.
This sunshine Vitamin is not only essential for our bones, immune health and to reduce fatigue but there has also been links to deficiency and the severity of symptoms from Coronavirus. The research is still limited but regardless of this link we are recommended to supplement with a high-quality Vitamin D supplement daily in the winter months to help prevent you from getting run down! This is why we have included our brand-new Vitamin D3 capsules in our very own Lockdown Essentials Collection!
- Get Cooking! As Christmas draws closer, the winter comfort food definitely plays a major role in family homes. From chocolates, nuts and crisps to lazy takeaways and pizza nights in front of the TV it can be hard to focus on our health goals. Now we have more time on our hands, why not try your hand at cooking up some of these home comforts in a healthier way! For example, instead of takeout pizza – get experimental with toppings and make your own using our Slender Pizza Mix. Make some healthy treats to snack on when you are watching a movie, such as some baked chickpeas or popped corn! If you aren’t much of a whiz in the kitchen, why not make some Christmas cookies or brownies by using one of our Baking Mixes.
- Keep up your routine! It can be tempting to sleep in, stay in your PJ’s and lose all sight of a weekday routine when you aren’t leaving the house. However, this will soon leave you feeling tired, sad and unproductive. Instead, try to avoid this lockdown fatigue by having a regular sleeping pattern, morning routine and setting yourself up for a day of work!
If you are struggling to go to bed at a normal time, through racing thoughts or TV temptations then why not try our Slender Night Tea. With natural Valerian Root and Lemon Balm extracts, this tea is designed to reduce anxiety and help you achieve a more peaceful, deeper sleep! Find this in our Lockdown Essentials Collection alongside our Vitamin D3 and Slender Blend.
“We can’t help everyone, but everyone can help someone.” -- Ronald Reagan
Finally, in the midst of looking after ourselves, don’t forget to check in with your friends and family this winter. Those struggling with their mental health can be in a more vulnerable place right now, so don’t forget to be kind to others and don’t shout at your partner if they haven’t got out of bed that day, or if they forgot to put the bins out!
If you know someone close to you is struggling, why not send them some flowers or a little gift in the post to know you are thinking of them!
At least this time round we know what to expect from lockdown – there is an end in sight! And remember the PW motto team: “Spread positivity, love & good vibes.”