How to Ensure Your Smoothie Stays Healthy
Depending on the ingredients they’re made with, smoothies can quickly turn into an unhealthy calorie filled drink full of sugar and saturated fat. A healthy smoothie should contain a blend of ingredients with protein and fibre to help keep you full and provide vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Read on for our top tips to build a healthy smoothie…
Choose a base
Add approx. 250-300ml
• Nut Milk (almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk)
• Semi Skimmed Milk
• Skimmed Milk
Add Fruit / Vegetables Add 2-3 portion of fruit/veg.
This can be fresh or frozen.
• Berries - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
• Other fruits - banana, apple, mango, pineapple, kiwi, avocado • Veg - Kale, spinach, carrot, cucumber
Thicken it up
Create the right consistency and creaminess whilst making it more nutritious. Be mindful of portion size as some of these are energy dense.
• Low fat yogurt (no added sugar)
• Chia seeds
• Nut Butters (peanut, almond, cashew).
Take your smoothie to the next level by boosting protein and omega 3 content
• Protein Powder
Use these ingredients for a healthy flavour boost
• Spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
• Fresh Mint
• Cacao powder
• Vanilla extract