How to Boost Your Immune System
By PW Nutritionist Grace Scott
At the moment you can’t blink without a new health headline hitting the newspapers. To stay healthy and provide you with the best chance to combat colds and viruses, it is important to boost your immune system and keep it running smoothly throughout the year. This complex system plays a vital role in keeping you healthy - it is the core defence mechanism to not only fight a cold quicker, but also provide you with long standing immunity! If you are worried you may be suffering with a low immune system, then we can help you say shoo to the flu with our 5 top, simple tips for a better you! We even share with you some super quick, immune-boosting smoothie recipes to kick-start your day and prioritise your health! Hint: For extra tips head over to our Instagram @proteinworld
1. Wash your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds! it is scientifically proven that areas of your hands need to be cleaned individually to ensure soap lathers up effectively to remove dirt.
2. Increase your intake of fruit! rich in antioxidants, including citrus fruits and berries into your daily routine is an easy sure fire way to boost your immune system!
3. Increase your intake of vegetables! a diet high in a variety of vegetables will provide you with a range of vitamins and minerals needed to optimise functioning at your healthiest!
4. Get adequate sleep! sleep is essential to allow your body time to repair and re-energise after a hards day keeping you alive. If you struggle getting those 7-9h each evening try avoiding screens and unwinding for half an hour before bed!
5. Try to reduce stress! stress increases levels of cortisol in the body, a hormone which in high amounts leads to suppression of your immune system - leaving you unable to fight off simple infections.
I mean we can’t help you wash your hands, or sing you a lullaby to sleep better but we can give you some tip top recipes to incorporate more fruit and veg into your diet! This will help boost your immunity whilst tasting delicious and being super easy to prepare at the same time! However, if you are worried this won't be enough, take a look at our post on How to Strengthen Your Immune System!
Immune Boosting Smoothie:
With 3 of your five a day, 26 vitamins and minerals in the Slender Blend and ginger to aid digestion you’ll be sure to feel top form after one of these immune boosting smoothies!
• 2 scoops Banana Split flavour Slender Blend
• 2 clementines, peeled
• ½ ripe banana, sliced
• 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
• ¼ cup Greek yoghurt
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1 tsp honey
• Calories 305kcal
• Protein 35g
• Carbohydrate 37g
• Fat 4g
Whack all ingredients in your blender and blitz! !
Cold Busting Smoothie:
Low immune system? This yummy smoothie is high in vitamin C - known to help the common cold! It plays many vital roles in the immune system, including helping the formation of white blood cells critical to fighting pesty viruses!
• 3 scoops Strawberry Milkshake flavour Slender Blend
• 200ml almond milk
• ½ cup Greek yoghurt
• 1 cup frozen strawberries
• ½ orange, chopped
• ½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
• Handful of ice
• Calories 360kcal
• Protein 34g
• Carbohydrate 32g
• Fat 7g
Whack all ingredients in your blender and blitz!
If you love these, check out the rest of our smoothie recipes on site! However, if they aren’t your thing, our Slender Blend shake is not just a protein hit; it contains 26 vitamins and minerals including zinc (reduces duration of a cold), vitamin B6 (wards off infections) and magnesium (keeps the flu at bay), available in 12 flavours and a vegan alternative, there’s a flavour for everyone!
On the go? Our PW multi-vitamins are a premium natural source of your daily vitamin needs packaged up into 2 easily absorbed capsules. Designed to ensure you are meeting your recommended daily allowance. your immune system won’t miss out on a single nutrient!