Roasted Pesto Pumpkin Soup
- 1 large pumpkin, cut in half and seeds removed and reserved (plus 1-2 small ones for the pumpkin bowl)
- 1 tbsp Protein world coconut oil, melted
- Sea salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk + 1 cup water (or 2 cups water)
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp pesto
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Per Serving
- Calories 326
- Protein 7g
- Carbohydrates 19g
- Sugar 6g
- Fibre 3g
- Fat 25g
- To make the roasted pumpkin soup bowls. Preheat the oven to 200C. Remove the tops of the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Rub the insides of the pumpkins with coconut oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes or just until soft to touch but not falling in.
- For the soup, place the pumpkin on a baking sheet and pour 1 tbsp coconut oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the pumpkin for 45 minutes or until the pumpkin is fork tender. Remove from the oven and allow everything to cool five minutes.
- Grab the pumpkin and add it to a food processor (or mash extremely well) and puree with 1 cup of the chicken broth, puree until completely smooth.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the butter, shallots and garlic cloves. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook another 30 seconds. Add the pumpkin puree, remaining chicken, coconut milk, water, chilli powder, and nutmeg. Bring the soup to a low simmer and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- To assemble the soup, ladle the soup into bowls (or your roasted pumpkins) and top each bowl with a tbsp. pesto, feta cheese and if desired drizzle with coconut milk.
- Serves 3