Roasted Aubergine With Pomegranates And Rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- Splash of water
- ½ cup (85g) uncooked brown rice
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1 large aubergine, halved lengthways
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 10 cherry tomatoes, chopped in half
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 2 sprigs of fresh coriander, chopped
- Add a tsp of coconut oil to a large casserole pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and cumin and fry for 5 minutes or until softened. Add in the rice, pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Half the aubergine and lightly cut a criss cross pattern in each and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Spread the harissa over each aubergine and then lay on top of the rice, harissa side up. Cover the pan and simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Meanwhile, add the cherry tomatoes and toss in the balsamic vinegar then add to the pan. After the 20 minutes is up, remove the casserole pan from the heat and transfer to the oven, uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through.
- To serve, spoon over the yoghurt, pomegranate seeds and coriander and enjoy.