Mexican Chilli Bean Soup
- 1 tbsp Protein World coconut oil
- 1 large carrot, chopped into small dices
- 1 large stick celery, chopped into small dices
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli (if using) finely chopped or 1/2-1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 pepper, small dice
- 100g each dried kidney beans, aduki beans and black eye beans, or a 400g can of each, drained
- Handful of chopped coriander leaves
- Per Serving
- Calories 287
- Protein 15g
- Carbs 36g
- Sugar 13g
- Fiber 17g
- Fat 8g
- If using dried beans, soak and cook as recommended on the packaging prior to starting the chilli
- Add a tbsp of Protein World coconut oil to a shallow wide pan, place the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and fresh chilli and cook on a medium hot heat for around 10 minutes
- Add tomato puree and stir for 30 seconds, then add the cumin, coriander, bay and cinnamon, smoked paprika and dried chilli if using. Stir fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes, chopped pepper and soy sauce, bring to simmer, cover and leave on low heat for 10-20mins, stirring occasionally, until veg is cooked through. Adding pepper at this step leaves a bit of crunch. If you like it more cooked add with other veg at step one.
- Add all the beans, stir, bring to simmer, cover and cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes until beans are hot. Keep an eye on it, add a couple of tbsp of water if it is a bit dry.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve with a dollop of sour cream and plain rice.
- Serves 2