Healthy Pulled Pork With BBQ Sauce
- For the pork
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 4-5 pounds pork leg roasts (boneless and skinless)
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups low sodium broth (beef, pork, or chicken)
- For the sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- ¼ cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp chipotle sauce (optional)
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules
- Calories 554
- Protein 48g
- Carbohydrates 11g
- Sugar 6g
- Fibre 3g
- Fat 34g
- In a frying pan, heat the coconut oil over a medium to high heat. Sear the pork on all sides and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the seared roast on top of the onions, pour broth over, and season again with salt and pepper. Set cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Meanwhile for the sauce heat the coconut oil on a large sauce pan over a medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until the onions are golden in colour and caramelized. Add the remaining ingredients and blitz in a blender until smooth. Bring to a boil, immediately lower to a simmer and continue to cook for 1 hour or until sauce reduces by at least a half. Keep a lid on the saucepan, but with a small gap remaining, which allows the steam to escape and the sauce to reduce.
- When roast is done, remove from slow cooker and shred using two forks to pull the meat apart. Mix the pulled pork with the BBQ sauce and ¼ cup of the liquid from the slow cooker, if desired.
- Serves 5-6