Carrot Crumble Breakfast Muffins
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup protein world coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 sweet apple, finely grated
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 heaping cup (packed) grated carrot
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp ground almonds
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts (chopped) for topping
- For the frosting (optional)
- 5 tbsp Cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Icing sugar
- Per serving
- Calories 183
- Protein 4g
- Carbohydrates 23g
- Sugar 11g
- Fibre 6g
- Fat 8g
- Preheat oven to 200 C and lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Add the egg, mashed banana, agave or maple syrup, coconut oil and whisk to combine.
- Next add applesauce, brown/coconut sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and whisk to combine.
- Add almond milk and stir, then the grated carrot and combine.
- Add oats, almond meal, almond or coconut flour and stir.
- Divide evenly among 12 muffin tins, filling them all the way up to the top, and top with crushed walnuts (optional).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. When you press on the top it shouldn’t feel too spongey!
- Remove from oven and let set in the pan for 15 minutes. Then flip on their sides still in the pan to let cool completely.
- Mix up the frosting ingredients and smother over the muffins
- Makes 12